Buser Frères & Cie S.A., is a family owned business whose origins began in 1892 in Niederdorf, Switzerland.
Buser designed and produced select components and ebauches in-house. In fact Buser were responsible for over 20 calibers, both manually wound and automatic, including early cylinder and lever movements, open face hunter movements and chronometer-grade movements . Buser movements can be recognised most commonly by their trademark capital ‘B’ within a triangle, and were utilised by Buser’s sub-brands (Nidor, Frenca, Esta, Neo, Tiptop, Buwat and others) and other watch companies such as Gruen.
Whilst Buser started off as an ebauche specialist, it wasn’t until 1916 that they were producing complete watches. Their finished timepiece capabilities ultimately included of course pocket watches and wrist watches; but also necklace watches and in-dash car clocks (possibly limited to the supply of movements to other car clock manufacturers).
In 1961, Buser joined with Revue, Vulcain and Phénix to form Manufactures d’Horlogerie Suisse Réunis SA (M.S.R.). In 1973 Marvin also joined M.S.R. The Buser name started to take a back seat in watchmaking from there (as did Phénix), but Buser were reputed to have moved into pressure measuring instruments before seemingly disappearing as a company.