History of Angelus
The manufacture Stolz Frères SA was founded 1891 in Le Locle by the brothers Gustav and Albert Stolz. At the time when the company was founded the small office was on the first floor of a house in the Rue du Marais, later in the Rue de Jardin. The externally supplied watch parts were assembled in small workshops. Initially, the focus was on pendulettes and watch cases. The brand name used was Angelus.
In the 1930s and 1940s, Angelus earned a reputation for its chronographs. These were in-house manufacture movements. Notable was the "Chronodate" (since 1943: "Chronodato"), the world's first serially produced chronograph with calendar function.
In 1948 the "Chrono Dato Luxe" was launched - the first chronograph with calendar, day display and moon phase.
1960 saw the last chronograph, the "Medical", a model for doctors and physicians.